3 Emergency Areas selected: Floods, Food distribution and Ukrainian refugees.
Overall Policy Objective:
Improve design of emergency policies related to floods and weather alerts, prevention of food waste and reception of Ukrainian refugees fleeing the war.
The 3 Areas:
- Floods emergency, especially in the Meisino and Murazzi areas, two areas of the city particularly affected by floods:
- The Meisino Park, at the confluence of Po and Stura rivers, was an alluvial area which in the course of history had already suffered many times from the flooding of the two rivers.
- The Murazzi area, closer to the city centre, was once a giant open-air washhouse where washerwomen washed clothes on the banks of the river Po. It has now been converted into an area dedicated to evening entertainment while the opposite banks are used for water sports.
- COVID19 enlarged poverty emergency and, in particular, the need to supply basic necessities (such as food) to families who may suddenly find themselves in a condition of great social fragility due to the economic consequences of a pandemic (e.g. the Covid19 pandemic).
- Asylum of Ukrainian refugees on the territory of the city of Turin and of the Piedmont region as a consequence of the sudden outbreak of a war conflict. It emerged that this type of migratory wave is different from the previous ones: it is mainly composed of women with children, who intend to stay in the host country for a short period. Dedicated website (in Ukrainian): https://decido-to.synology.me/wordpress/ukraina/
Through DECIDO project, Vol.to, KPRF and the Municipality of Turin aim at improving the design of emergency policies regarding the management, preparedness, and response to flood events, as well as to the social crises following a big pandemic event or the outbreak of a conflict in a neighbouring country.
- Flood emergency: it will be possible to take advantage of big data, as for example satellite data or hydro-meteorological models (e.g. data and services from the European and Global Flood systems), data from the Regional Environmental Agency as well as data collected by citizens and volunteers.
- Food distribution: it will be possible to take advantage of several data, including the data coming from the database of CPD Association, the Torino Food Metrics Report and the results of the urban pilot project in Turin founded by EIT Food innovation programme.
- Welcoming of Ukrainian refugees: in this case the pilot will take advantage from the data provided by different sources:
- Municipality of Turin – data on foreign citizens among the resident population;
- Piedmont Region – Piedmont for Ukraine: extraordinary plan for the reception of people fleeing war;
- Ministry of Labour – data about the presence of migrants in the Metropolitan City of Turin;
- Prefecture of Turin – data about the presence of asylum seekers and holders of protection in the CAS and SIPROIMI reception centres;
- University of Turin – Academic research on the social and cultural aspects regarding the integration of Ukrainian migrants.
The collected data are analysed (evidence) to improve the process effectiveness. In this way policies are continuously updated thanks to the clear picture and the straight procedure provided by the DECIDO portal.
Co-creation and engagement:
Co-creation activities involve mainly residents, Civil Protection personnel, Emergency Volunteer Corps and local associations (e.g. Burkinabè, G.V.V. Gruppo di Volontariato Vincenziano Madonna del Rosario Sassi, Presenza Solidale, Centro Media Protezione Civile, Volontarinrete, Triciclo, Psicologi per i Popoli Piemonte, Pronatura) and businesses as for example those taking care of moving animals from the risk area after the reception of an advanced flood warning, rowing clubs, bars along the river Po (regarding the Flood emergency). Volunteers of the CPD Association, in charge of food distribution to families in need, as well as Ukrainian cultural mediators from the Municipality of Turin will also take part in the pilot. Residents and businesses will be able to participate during each emergency response. The local NGOs will have the task of sensitising and awareness-raising about flood and food emergencies as well as about the reception of Ukrainian refugees: their representatives will be involved during the whole co-creation process about the three issues mentioned above.
Italian pilot: DECIDO team met the Food Bank industry team
In the policy simulation and evaluation stage of the project, the project itself and the co-designed policy related to food distribution has been discussed with the Food Bank Industry team (the team...
Food policy simulation at CPD – Turin
DECIDO policy simulations are running in the Turin pilot related to food distribution: - 373 packs of coffee drinks - 280 packs of rice - 60 panettone cakes these are the numbers of products to...
Turin Classes and Hackathon on October and November 2021/2022
The training was a Hackathon or a class? The training was a class on the first three dates (20th October, 25th October, 2nd November), while on the last day (3rd November), after an initial class, a...