3 Emergency Areas selected: Floods, Food distribution and Ukrainian refugees.
Overall Policy Objective:
Improve design of emergency policies related to floods and weather alerts, prevention of food waste and reception of Ukrainian refugees fleeing the war.
The 3 Areas:
- Floods emergency, especially in the Meisino and Murazzi areas, two areas of the city particularly affected by floods:
- The Meisino Park, at the confluence of Po and Stura rivers, was an alluvial area which in the course of history had already suffered many times from the flooding of the two rivers.
- The Murazzi area, closer to the city centre, was once a giant open-air washhouse where washerwomen washed clothes on the banks of the river Po. It has now been converted into an area dedicated to evening entertainment while the opposite banks are used for water sports.
- COVID19 enlarged poverty emergency and, in particular, the need to supply basic necessities (such as food) to families who may suddenly find themselves in a condition of great social fragility due to the economic consequences of a pandemic (e.g. the Covid19 pandemic).
- Asylum of Ukrainian refugees on the territory of the city of Turin and of the Piedmont region as a consequence of the sudden outbreak of a war conflict. It emerged that this type of migratory wave is different from the previous ones: it is mainly composed of women with children, who intend to stay in the host country for a short period. Dedicated website (in Ukrainian): https://decido-to.synology.me/wordpress/ukraina/
Through DECIDO project, Vol.to, KPRF and the Municipality of Turin aim at improving the design of emergency policies regarding the management, preparedness, and response to flood events, as well as to the social crises following a big pandemic event or the outbreak of a conflict in a neighbouring country.
- Flood emergency: it will be possible to take advantage of big data, as for example satellite data or hydro-meteorological models (e.g. data and services from the European and Global Flood systems), data from the Regional Environmental Agency as well as data collected by citizens and volunteers.
- Food distribution: it will be possible to take advantage of several data, including the data coming from the database of CPD Association, the Torino Food Metrics Report and the results of the urban pilot project in Turin founded by EIT Food innovation programme.
- Welcoming of Ukrainian refugees: in this case the pilot will take advantage from the data provided by different sources:
- Municipality of Turin – data on foreign citizens among the resident population;
- Piedmont Region – Piedmont for Ukraine: extraordinary plan for the reception of people fleeing war;
- Ministry of Labour – data about the presence of migrants in the Metropolitan City of Turin;
- Prefecture of Turin – data about the presence of asylum seekers and holders of protection in the CAS and SIPROIMI reception centres;
- University of Turin – Academic research on the social and cultural aspects regarding the integration of Ukrainian migrants.
The collected data are analysed (evidence) to improve the process effectiveness. In this way policies are continuously updated thanks to the clear picture and the straight procedure provided by the DECIDO portal.
Co-creation and engagement:
Co-creation activities involve mainly residents, Civil Protection personnel, Emergency Volunteer Corps and local associations (e.g. Burkinabè, G.V.V. Gruppo di Volontariato Vincenziano Madonna del Rosario Sassi, Presenza Solidale, Centro Media Protezione Civile, Volontarinrete, Triciclo, Psicologi per i Popoli Piemonte, Pronatura) and businesses as for example those taking care of moving animals from the risk area after the reception of an advanced flood warning, rowing clubs, bars along the river Po (regarding the Flood emergency). Volunteers of the CPD Association, in charge of food distribution to families in need, as well as Ukrainian cultural mediators from the Municipality of Turin will also take part in the pilot. Residents and businesses will be able to participate during each emergency response. The local NGOs will have the task of sensitising and awareness-raising about flood and food emergencies as well as about the reception of Ukrainian refugees: their representatives will be involved during the whole co-creation process about the three issues mentioned above.
The food distribution to fragile people is affected by a major issue related to the fact food is given for free when close to the expiration date for the possibility to sell them. That date for most...
The 3rd Hackathon dedicated to policy enhancement in the support to Ukrainian refugees took place in Turin Social Services premises on September the 12th 2022. The actual step addressed in the...
The Councillor for Civil Protection of the City of Turin endorses the Turin pilot of the DECIDO project
This morning, Monday 18th July, the Councillor for Civil Protection of the City of Turin, Francesco Tresso, took part, together with the President of Vol.To, Gerardo Gatto, in a debate dedicated to...